Breakfast Sausage Casserole
This recipe needs to chill overnight for 8 hours.
- 1/2 loaf of sliced white bread
- 1 pound Uncle Charley’s Loose Packed Pork Sausage
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Butter, for greasing
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and spread into bottom of a greased 9x13x2 inch casserole dish.
- In a medium skillet, brown sausage over medium heat until fully cooked and no longer pink. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon to drain fat. Spread cooked sausage over bread and top with cheese.
- Stir together half-and-half, dry mustard, salt and eggs. Pour mixture over cheese. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the covered casserole until set and slightly golden, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow casserole to set for 15 minutes before serving.