Downhome Sausage Stuffing
- 1 pound ground Uncle Charley’s Pork Sausage
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups dry white bread cubes (7 slices)
- 5 cups crumbled corn bread
- ¾ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Set aside.
- In same skillet cook onion, green pepper, and celery in hot margarine or butter until tender.
- In a large bowl use a fork to beat eggs; stir in poultry seasoning and pepper. Add bread cubes and corn bread; toss until coated. Add sausage, reserved drippings, vegetables, and pecans. Add enough broth to moisten (3/4 to 1 cup), tossing to mix well.
- Use to stuff one 10-pound turkey. Place any remaining stuffing in a casserole; drizzle with enough of the remaining chicken broth (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to make a stuffing of desired moistness. Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until hot. Internal temperature of stuffing should reach 165°F.