Sausage and Basil Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1 pound ground Uncle Charley’s Sweet Italian Sausage
- 8 medium tomatoes, preferably with stems intact
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon
- Herbes de Provence
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced, plus a handful of celery leaves
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups bread cubes (from about 1/2 baguette)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a serrated knife, slice off top quarter of each tomato and reserve tops. Scoop out pulp from inside each tomato and transfer to a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and cayenne to food processor and process until smooth; pour into 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, herbes de Provence, bell pepper, onion, diced celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, until sausage browns, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer sausage mixture and bread cubes to food processor and pulse until chopped. Pack tomatoes with sausage-bread mixture so stuffing is domed on top. Put stuffed tomatoes in baking dish on top of sauce.
- Place basil, walnuts, cheese and celery leaves in food processor and chop. Sprinkle onto tomatoes. Put tomato tops, cut-side down, between stuffed tomatoes. Bake until stuffing is golden, about 20 minutes. Cover each tomato with a top and serve with sauce.