Perfect for game day or a hearty weekday snack, this combination of sausage, spices, cheese, and pizza dough is downright delicious.
- 1 1/2 pound ground Uncle Charley's Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 batch pizza dough
- Paprika (optional)
- Saute the sausage until it is well browned. Drain excess fat.
- Allow sausage to cool slightly and add fennel seed, salt, pepper, cheeses, and red pepper flakes.
- Cut dough into bun-sized pieces. Flatten each piece into a roughly round shape and top with 2 tablespoons of meat/cheese mixture.
- Fold the bottom edge toward the middle, tuck in the two sides, and continue to roll up until the mixture is enclosed. Pinch the seam together and place the roll seam-side down on a greased or parchment-covered baking sheet. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush each roll gently with olive oil and mark the rolls with a sprinkling of paprika.
- Bake rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown.