Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash.
- Serving Size:2
- Total Time:1
- Difficulty:In-Home Cook
- 3 Acorn Squash
- 1 tbspButter
- 3Uncle Charley's Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 tspOlive Oil
- 1/2 cupRice
- 1 1/3 cupCider
- 1/3 cupCranberry raisins
- 1/2 tspDried sage
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut each acorn squash in half and remove seeds. Melt butter and brush over flesh of acorn squash. Season each squash with salt and pepper.
- Place squash on cookie sheet with cut side up and bake 20 minutes or until squash starts to get soft.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and set aside.
- Use a skillet that has a corresponding lid. Heat skillet over medium heat and add olive oil to pan.
- Add diced shallots to pan and sauté until begin to soften. Add sausage to pan by removing meat from casing.
- Brown sausage with shallots until no longer pink. Don’t drain the fat, this will help with cooking the rice.
- Add rice to the pan with sausage and shallots, sauté rice for 2 minutes. Add cider. Add dried sage and salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a bowl and stir once before lowering heat to a simmer and covering with lid. Cook covered for 20 minutes.
- With 5 minutes remaining, add cranberry raisins and continue cooking until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Once stuffing is complete, add 2 tbsp. (approximate) to each acorn squash cavity.
- Once all squash are filled, place acorn squash back in oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until rice and sausage start to brown.
- Remove the stuffed squash and enjoy while warm.
The easiest way to get the sausage out of the casing is to start at one end and twist the casing while pushing down on the link to force the meat out.