- Preheat oven to 350.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Mince mushroom stems and set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat pan.
- Add shallots to pan and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sausage to the pan by removing the meat from the casings.
- Brown sausage with shallots and garlic. Add minced mushrooms to the pan and sauté until sausage is cooked through.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Prepare baking pan by drizzling dish with olive oil. Drizzle oil over mushroom caps and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill mushroom caps with sausage mixture, use hands to mold and pack the filling in to the mushroom caps.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of each mushroom. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until stuffing starts to brown.
This recipe is grill friendly!
This dish can be made on the grill. Simply toss the mushrooms in olive oil prior to cooking.