Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy.
- Serving Size:8
- Total Time:35
- Difficulty:In-Home Cook
- 2 cupsSelf-rising flour
- 1/4 cupAll-vegetable shortening
- 1 cupButtermilk
Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 1 lbUncle Charley’s Loose Packed Pork Sausage
- 3 tbspShortening
- 1/4 cupAP flour
- 3 cupsMilk
- 1/2 tspSalt
- 1/4 tspBlack Pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cut shortening into cubes and fold into self-rising flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Blend in buttermilk with fork just until dough comes together. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently by folding dough about 10 times.
- Press into a circle that’s 1 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough.
- Do not twist the cutter until the dough has been cut all the way through
- Place biscuits on baking sheet so they barely touch.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage, breaking it up with a spatula over medium high heat. ?Do not drain.
- Add shortening, flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring constantly until flour begins to brown.
- Slowly add milk while continuing to stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one minute stirring occasionally. As gravy cools it will thicken. For thinner gravy, add a little more milk
- Cut biscuits in half and pour gravy over biscuits.