Dirty Rice with Sausage
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 5 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (18 oz.) package Uncle Charley’s Sausage (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine rice and 4 cups chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until all the stock is absorbed into the rice, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage 10-12 minutes, until browned. Once browned, take out sausage and cut into slices; place sausage back into sauté pan.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock and cayenne. Cook until stock has reduced a little.
- Add cooked rice and parsley and stir thoroughly. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.